To make the rice pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Lightly toast the vanilla pod, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick in the dry pan for about a minute.
- Add the coconut milk, sugar and whole milk and bring to the boil.
- Add the orange strips and rice, then lower the heat and gently simmer for about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a clean bowl. Add the mascarpone, whisking until smooth.
- Turn off the stove and gradually add in the egg yolk mixture stirring constantly to avoid the eggs scrambling.
- Place in the oven for 10–15 minutes.
To make the pineapple, coconut and crushed Brazil nut topping:
- Cut the pineapple into chunks.
- Caramelise in a non-stick saucepan with a little sugar to brown around the edges.
- Toast the coconut flakes until just golden.
To make the poached winter fruits:
- Make a stock syrup with 100ml of water and 100g sugar and boil down until syrupy.
- Add the cut fruit to the sugar syrup and gently simmer for two minutes – use winter fruits such as apples, pears, clementines, dried figs etc.
- Remove from the heat and allow to seep for a couple more minutes.
- Place the fruits on top of the rice pudding.
To serve three ways:
- Top the pudding with a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
Pineapple, coconut and nuts
- Top the rice pudding with the pineapple, coconut and Brazil nuts.
Poached winter fruits
- Place the fruits on the rice pudding.